Sunday, April 18, 2010

... it just hit me.

Well, it finally became real. Honestly, it wasn't just a BOOM! moment, it was a gradual moment. Like oh wow, all my stuff is gone, and my room is really clean and has nothing to even suggest that Kelly Rogers ever lived here. And then of course, it hit me like a ton of bricks when my RA came to check me out of my room and I had to give her my keys. That's when the waterworks started. It was like leaving home all over again.

Because this really has been my home! It's been the first place that I've truly felt independent. It was the start of my new life, my college life. That room was more me than any other thing in this world. The decorations, the colors, everything about it- it soothed me, it screamed ME! It was my comfort zone. I probably spent more time in my room than anywhere else. (I know that sounds incredibly anti-social, but I promise it wasn't- I had plenty of friends in and out!)

I'm really going to miss that place. I mean, I know it was time to go, and I was ready to be out of the dorms, but at the same time, there were a ton of happy memories that I made there. I absolutely loved my freshman year of college. I truly did.

It was so hard saying goodbye to everybody, especially the boys, because who knows when I'll ever see them again! 2+ years, minimum. It's even more difficult simply because our ward is SO close. We did so much together! We went to church together, we ate together in the same place every day at the Cannon Center, and we hung out on weekends. We were best friends.

Now I feel like next year is going to be just like starting over again. I'll be making completely new guy friends, and I'll be living with more than one person. I'll be cooking for myself and I'll have an actual kitchen and living room. I'm excited, but it's a little bit intimidating. It's always hard to step out of the comfort zone. But then I think about the beginning of this year and how nervous I was, but about how eventually things got to be normal; I managed to find a routine, and I got comfortable. That's really what it is- it's not change that I don't like. It's transition- it's that uncomfortable, uncertain feeling in the pit of your stomach because you don't know what to expect. The only thing you can do is just dive in and hope for the best- at least, that's what experience has taught me.

And now, I'm off to Texas for a two-week (much needed, might I add) vacation. I can't wait to see my family and my dog and to eat the Texas food that I've been missing! I can't wait to see my home ward and to see some of my old friends from High School. It'll be nice. (Dreading the plane ride though- I always do.)

So I guess it really just hit me. That chapter of my life is officially closed. I am no longer a freshman (hallelujah!). I'm going to have new adventures, starting today. I don't know what to expect, but I've got a feeling it's going to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment