Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thrifting Heaven

I'm just gonna say it. I love thrift shopping.

I know, some of you might be appalled, but I make no apologies.

There's something wonderfully fulfilling about going to a garage sale or a thrift store and seeing a bunch of junk, and after searching (which, let me tell you, takes some serious persistence and talent), find some AWESOME stuff. It's so rewarding! You put in the time and the effort, and your reward = CHEAP stuff that most of the time, no one will ever know is secondhand. Of course, you all will know that my stuff is secondhand now, but I don't care! That's how freaking happy I am about the stuff I found this last week.

First, on like Thursday or Wednesday of this last week, I went to the DI in American Fork, which turned out to be a stupendous idea, because I went to the one in Provo last week and it was wiped out because everybody and their brother are going to DI trying to find stuff to decorate their apartment with as well.

Some of the highlights of my DI trip were:

  • shower caddys (metal w/ suction cups, looked almost new), $1 each
  • adorable red braided belt, $1.50
  • practically new 'Battle of the Sexes' game, $2
  • so cute black metal napkin holders, candle holders, and plate hangy thingy (I'll post pictures once I've put them on display, it'll look cuter that way! , $1 each
then i got some awesome picture/ inspirational quote type things:

"the best things in life are not things"

welcome sign for the door

So that were some of my finds at DI. I also hit up the dollar store and got some awesome stuff there, including a rubber ducky keychain that has a light in it and quacks... yeah. :) Plus I got one of those apple cutter thingies, and some fake flowers for the room.

THEN, this morning, I went garage sale-ing with one of my roommates, Amanda. Oh my goodness did we find good deals. I almost peed my pants I was so excited. Here are some of the things I found:

...this was free. yeah. (it's big, too!)
snoopy PJs: $1
so this is one of those scent/wax burning things (I know it works good cause my aunt and Grandma both have one)- you plug it in to the wall and burn the different scented waxes and it smells SO good.
did i mention that it was still in the WRAPPING and that i got it for $3?!?!
here's what it says: "friends are the family you choose for yourself" 
I also found some of those "wonder hangers" that hang down vertically and make for more effective closet space/ hanger hanging. It's pretty sweet.
so it retails at like $9.95- I got mine for $0.75. yep :)
And now for the best deal of all. Drumroll, please...
huge rug for our living room...
...and a matching one for our hallway

Any guesses for the price of both? Whatever you guessed, you'd be wrong, because it was such a STEAL! This is how much I paid for BOTH:

$5!!

Yep, you read that right. They were each priced individually as $5, and I thought that was a good deal. I probably would have payed full price for it, but I talked to the lady and out of nowhere, she was all, "You know, you could have both of them for $5." My jaw dropped to the floor, and I whipped out my money faster than *insert the fastest thing you can think of here*.  Can you see why I'm so excited? Who knows how much they'd be worth if I bought it new from the store?? Yes, there are maybe like 2 minor stains, but hello... Oxyclean?! Both my mom and I swear by that stuff, so all I have to do is put a little elbow grease and Oxyclean on there and we'll be good to go.

See, we went out trying to find a coffee table for our living room, but we haven't been able to find one. However, I think that this rug totally opens up the room and makes it feel homey and spacious. So all in all, today was a GREAT day for garage sale-ing. I Craigslist-ed the night before to find all the good ones, and it totally paid off. :)

So all that's left now is to figure out where I want to hang everything! It'll be a struggle, but hopefully I'll put everything in a good place.

Speaking of interior design, I have a confession to make: I have a new Hulu obsession. I've discovered the design challenge. It's like trading spaces but BETTER because there are a ton of different shows and it's so cool. I even found the "Project Runway" of interior design- it's called DesignStar and I just think it's so cool. It'd have to be pretty cool to keep me from reading Mockingjay when I finally got a copy of it! Haha. 

Let's see. What else? Last night I went and got  a piece of pizza from Slab Pizza, just around the corner, and they had this live Dixieland band playing! It was really sweet. And I'm going swing dancing tonight with one of my roommates! I'm so excited, it's supposed to be a good one.

Also, I think I'm going to join the BYU a capella club. I think it would be fun, like Jazz Choir all over again!

Anyways, today is a great day. I'm so happy about the things that I found! And I'm SO glad that it's Saturday. It's so nice to actually have weekends again after Aspen Grove :). Church tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment