Monday, August 16, 2010

The Perks of My Job

Have I mentioned that there are several awesome perks to my job? Because there have been several as the summer has gone on. First and foremost, I can sample BYU creamery ice cream at any point in the day. Heck yes. Plus I get to work in air conditioning. Another definite pro. But the perks that I'm talking about are the ones provided by management to the whole staff.

Here are some examples:
1. Ice skating at seven peaks one time. :)
2. A whole week of Christmas festivities... in JULY!
3. Doughnuts at staff meetings
4. Candy bars in appreciation for doing our jobs well
5. Coupons for the store when we pass our cleaning checks
6. Free tickets to go see "Annie Get Your Gun" at the Scera Theater



The last on this list was the most recent. This last friday, as a staff, we went and saw "Annie Get Your Gun" performed by the Scera Theater Company. The Scera is an outside theater, and I enjoyed it much better than Austin's outside theater, because of two things: 1) the lack of intense humidity and heat, therefore sweating, and 2) the lack of MOSQUITOS! :) It was quite an enjoyable experience. I had never seen the play before, but I was surprised at how much of the music I knew and recognized. The actors were all pretty talented and it was a well put on production.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the ending, but that's just the feminist in me. I just have a problem with a woman having to pretend to be less than what she is just to soothe a man's ego. Annie was looking at hiding her talent for the rest of her life. I don't know. That just didn't sit so well with me.

But other than that, I really liked it! :)

Oh! Another perk of my job- this one is a little more spiritual- is that every single Sunday, we have a different fireside speaker! Last night we were privileged to hear from Sister Black, who I'd actually taken a class from last semester. She was really great, and she talked about making a difference and leaving your mark on the world.

The great thing about these firesides is that there's always a musical number at the beginning of them. Not only that, but there's also a musical number during church earlier in the day. So that's 2 beautiful music numbers every week, plus the fireside. I've been lucky enough to sing a few times at firesides and in church throughout the summer, and I've totally loved it. I love getting the chance to perform my favorite kind of music, and to have such talented people to play piano with me or to sing with me. It's so much fun!

Bittersweetly, I'm in the home stretch of my time at Aspen Grove. We're in the middle of our last full week of family camp. After this week, we have a mini family camp and then FOL (foundations of leadership- it's a BYU camp for the incoming freshman), and then we're done! It's so crazy to think about. Part of me is so ready to be gone, but another part of me knows that there are definitely some things that I will miss. But luckily, all of my coworkers go to BYU, so I'll still be able to see them often! :) Plus a lot of us are in a All Sports Pass group together, so that will be nice to keep in touch that way!

I should be moving into my new apartment sometime next week. (And by moving in, I basically mean just putting some stuff there- I'm still living up at Aspen Grove until the bitter end.) But I'm excited! I can't wait for Fall! I seriously am giddy to go to school again and to be in classes and to have a new ward and all that jazz!

No comments:

Post a Comment