Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Livin' it up at Aspen Grove

I cannot believe how blessed I am to live in such a beautiful place. Seriously, every single day I am astounded by all of God's amazing creations. For anyone who knows me well, you know that I am not a nature outdoorsy type of person. But much to my own amazement, I am in love with nature out here. I love taking walks and I love just sitting outside. There's usually a nice breeze, and the sun is shining and there are just a few clouds in the blue, blue sky. (Of course, that's Utah weather permitting- half the time it decides to be bipolar and get freakishly cold). But for the most part, I'm seriously enjoying the gorgeous scenery.

Although, to be completely well-rounded in my description, I do have to mention one downside of being up here. It's something I only thought I'd have to deal with in Texas, not Utah: allergies. I just started having the symptoms a little while ago but they're not going away without a fight. I think that it's because of all the cotton floating around in the air- seriously, there are flecks of white stuff floating around EVERYWHERE. It almost looks like it's snowing sometimes! But I'm hoping to kick these allergies in the butt sometime in the near future.

So, work has been going really well. As I've said before, I work in the store, and for the most part I really love it. It's great interacting with the guests and getting to know their faces as they come in throughout the week. Of course, working with BYU creamery ice cream isn't so bad either- my sample-a-day keeps the smile on my face :). Probably my favorite part of working in the store is the people that I work with. At night, we have people that come in and work on standby, to help out whoever the store people are. Basically, they scoop the ice cream and clean while the clerks (me) ring people up. (I'm training myself to say "ring up" because I've said "check out" often and created some very awkward moments...) I love love love the two girls that I work with on a more full-time basis, Anna and Hilary. They are so great! We get along so well and we have each other's backs.
(This is a picture of me and Anna, and of course the ice cream machine from Hades. It doesn't like us very much.)

So yeah! I'm getting better at scooping ice cream, thank goodness, and I'm hoping with all my might that I will eventually get better at making a soft-serve cone that doesn't topple over.

I got a church "assignment". We're not a real ward, we're just a "group", so they can't give us callings, only assignments. Big shocker here, I got assigned to be choir director! I love it. There are tons of people that come and sing and they're all really talented, and it's so great! Every week we have a fireside speaker, so we'll probably sing at a couple of those, and of course, we'll sing in church. INCREDIBLE news: Elder Groberg and Elder HOLLAND (of "THE BOOK OF MORMON IS TRUE" Holland) are both coming on different Sundays to do firesides!! I am so incredibly psyched, I can't even express how excited I am.Wow.

The social atmosphere is really different now than it was during May, when there were only 30 or so staff members. Now we have almost 80, and it feels like there are people everywhere all of the time! It's good and bad in both ways. I love all the new people, and I get along with them great, but I'll admit there are sometimes when I just wish there was an empty couch cushion in the lobby! But it's great getting to know everybody and making new friends, etc. I've finally gotten used to the whole opened-ceiling dorm living arrangements, and now I kind of like it. In a way, it makes the girls who live here closer because we're all involved in each other's lives. I love having girl talk in the hall, talking about somebody's date that they went on, or a first kiss or something like that. It's nice cause we all get excited for each other and we just all get along really well, no drama, no nothing.

One of my favorite parts of Aspen Grove is Frontier Night, if only for the awesome Kodak moments that pop up left and right. Frontier Night is basically where the staff dresses like cowboys and indians and they run different activities, like tomahawk throwing or archery or driving the train, etc. It takes place in Cowboy Village, which is a little makeshift old western town that we have by this big field. Most everybody dresses up and it's soo much fun. Here are some of my favorite pictures :)

me and the Duke :)
chief skinny :), aka Dallin, aka Mr. Awesome-at-guitar-and-life!
roommates! :) (heidi, karen, stephanie and kelly)
Jordan, just brandin'. You know.
haha oh my how I love this picture. :)
the lovely camille, just indian-ing it up!
this boy is crazy photogenic. seriously.
kelly get your gun :) please take note of the texas flag in the background, thank you very much. :)
i'll let you decide if brandon's mustache is real or not.
i wasn't so great at the tomahawk throwing... :(
ride 'em, cowgirl :) just reconnectin' with my roots :)
the overall gals
this is a serious duty, this duty of ours.
just look at that view!


Like I said, I am incredibly lucky to be where I'm at. I love my job and all of the social and spiritual and mental and emotional perks that come with it. I'm so happy to be spending my summer in the mountains. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment